Well,
folks this is my final IRA blog, at least for AP Lit., sort of sad I’ve learned
a lot from this process. Here is my last reflection. On the two books I’ve sort of been reading.
The
Death of a Salesman was a bore, I haven’t finished it yet but I think I will
get around to it. What I’ve been reading lately is The Freedom Writers Diary. This
book has been eye opening and very interesting, just the thing to counter a bad
case of Senioritis I might add.
The
book is a compilation of anonymous entries from the class taught by Erin
Gruwell. The range and diversity of the entries is what intrigued me the most
about this book. I mean normal books
based out of diaries are written by one person, but this book is written by
many different people, each of them having their own writing style yet they are
all fighting similar problems. Ms.
Gruwell is an amazing teacher and very brave to take on the class she did, most
first year teachers would have been terrified but instead she faced them head
on and made something beautiful. I
really enjoyed how much she loves to read and sees the value in some of the “older”
books and makes the kids realize how they affect them, how the Montague’s and
the Capulet’s are just like the gangs that tear the city apart. How the
writings and struggles of Anne Frank can be understood by a kid who grew up in
the ‘hood.
“I
think my students will be able to identify with the teen protagonists in all of
the books I’ve selected. But since the
books won’t arrive for a while, I’m going to have them read short stories and
plays that they’ll be able to relate to.
I think they’ll be surprised how life mirrors art.”(50) I think this of
many books, I find myself relating to characters from book to the point that I
actually pray for the problems they are experiencing. I mean hello pray is
powerful but when it is written in a book you are reading, the book isn’t going
to change!
I
really enjoy reading these because it gives you an insight to many different
backgrounds and problems people are experiencing I believe reading this book
has made me a more knowledgeable person in that area. Over all I would highly
recommend this book, it is fabulous and heart-warming, I’m jealous the juniors
next year will get to read it for class.
Now
for a reflection over the whole year, I would say this assignment though at
times was a bit of a drag has helped me to grow as a reader. I think more
deeply about the meanings of words and how to explain what I understand from
those words. I’ve always enjoyed reading
and this has pushed me to read books I would have otherwise not read. Thanks
Ms. A for the assignment.
No comments:
Post a Comment