Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
Since a majority of the class read this for the summer reading assignment I’d thought I’d join the band wagon. Better late than never!
The historical setting is probably after World War II due to a comment made by one of the sons. This is the beginning of the American Dream being the “white picket fence” and keeping up with the Jones’s. Willy’s goal is to be well liked. He sees that as the key to the American Dream, instead of the realistic and gritty life that means hard work. He sees success is something to be gained by attractiveness not hard work. I believe this theme will develop out further in the play.
It seems the protagonist is Willy even though he seems to be rather dumb and conceited. He has these day dreams about when his sons are younger and I can’t tell if they are made up or just recalling what actually happened. Supposedly he was just awesome, he was a great salesman, and his boys loved him and answered his beck and call. His wife was brilliant and helped him and puffed up his confidence at every turn. These seem to all fit in with his perfect ideals of the American Dream.
Arthur Miller seems to be characterized by exploring different ideals. The Crucible explored McCarthyism and the latest political witch hunt. Now Death of a Salesman seems to explore the faulty ideals of Americanism. I’m not sure where this will lead but it should be a good read.
I agree this life of a salesman sounds way too perfect and unrealistic. The title says it all, meaning that something will happen to this salesman, that will ruin him.
ReplyDeleteI loved this book! A lot of people think it was a boring book but I actually really enjoyed it and think it had a lot of great life lessons in it.
ReplyDelete