Thursday, March 1, 2012

IRA 19

New book "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer is about the journey of Chris McCandless.  This book is very easy to get into and I started it late last week and I am 122 pages into it, as in comparison of "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" or "Song of Solomon".

The storyline of this book is a bit fragmented but it basically is following the journey of Chris a boy who after he graduated from college, donated all of his savings to charity and left with minimal supplies and a beat up old car and essentially disappeared. He changed his name to Alexander Supertramp and went on living off the land and not getting tied down to anywhere.

His journeys took him as far south as Mexico and ending in Mt. McKinley, where he died most probably of starvation.

Beyond the description of his journeys we also are given lots of food for thought. Mostly from highlighted quotes found at the bus where Chris died. One of the quotes found highlighted and near it was written the word truth.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, an obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not; and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board. The hospitality was a cold as the ices." Henry David Thoreau.

Chris was more than just a random wanderer he was a complex person with a lot of deeper meanings explored in his travels. I'll go more in depth in that later, it is a lot of information to go through.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy novels like this. He's kind of like a Mountain Man, who gives up his way of life, material possessions, to live in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing this movie, and how good it was. Whenever I see or think of the book or movie I just hear "Hard Sun" by Eddie Vedder, since it was the main song from the movie. The thing I found most interesting about this kids story is that its all true though. This guy really did come from a better off family and gave away all his money to find something more, which is quite the feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He seems like a great person. I read this book last semester and it had too many flashes for me. I hope you have betteer luck and can fill me in on the ending!

    ReplyDelete