Thursday, February 2, 2012

IRA 15 Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


“I hid behind a mound of earth that had been dug up to make a grave for some old books, literature was the only religion her father practiced, when a book fell on the floor he kissed it, when he was done with a book he tried to give it away to someone who would love it, and if he couldn’t find a worth recipient, he buried it…The books had been buried, so I hid this time behind a group of trees, I imagined their roots wrapped around books, pulling nourishment from the page, I imagined rings of letters in their trunks.” (114)
The Imagery from this passage is extraordinary. This is written from the point of view of Oskar’s Grandfather, whom he never knew. He is talking about looking for his first wife after they had first met.  Thinking about the books being buried makes me sad, I adore books! I have a huge collection and I re-read them quite often. It is Interesting to think that is someone’s religion, I guess it is like any other idol a person might have.
“…And the next day he made new walls of shelves, so that the books themselves would separate inside from outside. (The new, overhanging roof protected the books from rain, but during the winter the pages would freeze together, come spring, they let out a sigh).” (126)
Anna’s, his first wife, father was not very handy so when the shed on the property fell down he replaced it with the only thing he knew how. Books! This show how important the books were. He knew that they had lives of their own and he knew that they didn’t need to be treated as “babies”. So he let them become part of their environment, in one part of burying them, another being letting them become the walls that would shelter him.  Using the books as a barrier from bad ideas, the cold war was happening as this went on. To protect him from the elements so he could enjoy them in comfort. Giving them human qualities such as sighing and giving nutrients.
Books play a big part in his life, as they do mine. I know this is just a small part of the whole idea of books playing a role in this book (I’ll get more in-depth to that next week). But it gives me goose bumps just reading it!

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy books as well, I find them as a getaway. But I don't love books that much as it said in your post. I do find this interesting that this man cares about it soo much. I wonder what started this obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have given some examples of beautiful writing here. I love the idea of books giving the trees nourishment. We just finish reading/studying Genesis and discussing how trees are archetypes since they are rooted in the ground then reach for the heavens. I absolutely love the idea of those roots being nourished by books. I think we all need that kind of nourishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds EXTREMELY depressing, and thats probably why they're making a movie about it.... It sad in that, "My father died and now I've found new clues that he left for me..." I would like to read this sometime, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the imagery in these quotes. I understand why he buries the books. Since he can't find someone to love the books, he buries them to protect them from an unworthy recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is horrible but I understand what he means by food is good but it isn't the loving way of people. I get that feelings from hosptials, they are only there doing what they have to and don't get to know the people they work with.

    ReplyDelete